Sheriff: Investigation finds no motive for Las Vegas mass shooting
LAS VEGAS - Investigators say they have still not determined why Las Vegas mass shooter Stephen Paddock opened fire from his high-rise hotel suite, killing 58 people and injuring hundreds in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.
Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo told reporters Friday that investigators believe Paddock acted alone in the Oct. 1 shooting at the Mandalay Bay casino-hotel.
Lombardo says he does not expect charges to be filed against Paddock's girlfriend, Marilou Danley, who had been previously called a person of interest in the case.
Authorities say Paddock conducted extensive online searches for police and SWAT tactics and searched for other potential targets before he carried out the bloody massacre.
Lombardo said Friday that investigators believe Paddock had searched for several other public venues and took photographs of other potential sites.
A preliminary report about the shooting says Paddock searched for outdoor concert venues, the number of attendees at other concerts in Las Vegas and the number of people who go to the beach in Santa Monica, California.
The report also says Paddock also searched for information about several other hotels in Las Vegas.
Lombardo said the investigation also found that Paddock had possessed child pornography.