Bicyclist, 14, struck by semi truck, critically injured in Shoreline

The crash scene was next to the Shoreline Fire Station. (KOMO photo)

SHORELINE, Wash. - A 14-year-old boy who is a student at Shorewood High was hit, then dragged by a semi truck Wednesday morning while riding his bicycle to school in Shoreline, emergency officials said.

Police and medics responded North 175th Street and Aurora Avenue North about 7:20 a.m. after receiving reports of a serious accident involving a semi.

"The only good part of this is that our headquarters station is right across the street," said Michelle Pidduck of the Shoreline Fire District.

The boy was wearing a helmet.

The bicyclist was dragged about 40 feet by the semi, said Pidduck. The boy was found at the scene with critical injuries and was rushed to Harborview Medical Center by ambulance.

The King County Sheriff's Office says the semi truck was going west on North 175th Street and was making a right turn to north on Aurora when the bicyclist was hit. Investigators are still trying to figure out exactly what factors contributed to the accident.

At least two other students witnessed the accident and said they could hear the boy screaming as he was dragged by the semi, Pidduck said.

Shorewood High School had counselors available for students on Wednesday. The collision happened less than a block from the school's campus.

"I guess it's kind of disturbing because it can happen to any one of us at any time," said a Shorewood High School student.

The intersection where the accident happened is often busy with students going to and from school. Many were walking to campus this morning when police were still investigating.

"It kind of shows us students we have to be more careful," said another Shorewood High School student.

Pidduck said it's likely more people witnessed the accident and just continued their morning routine. "Trying to digest this later is more (of) our concern-- making sure that they're able to talk to someone, not just thinking this is normal and try to go on with their day without realizing the trauma that they've seen," Pidduck said.

As of Wednesday afternoon, the teen remained in critical condition at Harborview Medical Center.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off