3-year-old twins safe, family starting over after Everett fire
EVERETT, Wash. -- Chloe and Emma Orick could have died inside their burning Everett apartment.
Firefighters rescued the twin three-year-old girls from their home Monday as flames ripped through the main living space.
Fortunately, Everett Fire says the girls were in the bedroom with the door closed, and when firefighters got to the twins they were still alive.
First responders rushed the girls to Harborview, where Chloe spent 24 hours in the ICU with smoke inhalation. At one point, doctors induced a coma.
“I just broke down because I didn’t know if she was going to make it,” their mother Sihaya Sweum said.
But Chloe and Emma bounced back, and the hospital discharged the girls Tuesday night.
Now their family is starting over in an empty apartment that donations are starting to fill. They lost all their possessions and their dog in the fire.
“At least I have these two,” Sihaya said, smiling. “At least they’re okay... You can’t replace the love of your kids.”
Sihaya says her 23-year-old daughter was supposed to be watching the girls Monday, but when firefighters arrived, they found the front door locked and the apartment empty other than the girls.
“I don’t have much to say because she put her sisters in danger and they could have died,” Sihaya said about her eldest daughter. She doesn’t know why her daughter allegedly left the home.
Everett Police are still investigating the circumstances surrounding the fire. They couldn’t say if any individual(s) might face charges.
Sihaya thanked the firefighters who saved her daughters.
“It was awesome,” she said. “We are so grateful that they went in there.”
Chloe’s skin is still a bit pink from medication, but otherwise the girls are back to their normal selves: the handful their mother is happy to have.
“It’s the best feeling in the world,” she said. “I don’t want to be away from them at all now.”