Top 20 most read stories on KOMONews.com in 2017
As we bring 2017 to a close, here is a look back on the Top 20 most read stories on KOMONews.com
20) Satellite imagery shows how Hurricane Irma left its mark on the planet
Hurricane Irma was one of the most powerful hurricanes on record in the Atlantic, and while it lost a little bit of steam before it plowed into Florida, it still had enough strength to change a few colors on the planet.
19) Police: Mom of abandoned infant blames drugs, to be jailed
The Lakewood baby was found abandoned in the grass in the dead of night. Proscecutors say the mother blamed drugs and woud be jailed.
18) Deputies: Homeowner arrested after fatally shooting intruder in shower
A homeowner was arrested and later charged with murder after he shot and killed an intruder who was taking a shower in his home. But investigators said they don't believe the homeowner gave him any warnings before he fired his gun and had ample time to call for help when he went back home. The victim may have been in that home by mistake. (Follow Up Story)
17) Naked couple, accused of driving drunk while having sex, crashes with baby in back seat
A naked man and woman were having sex in their car, while driving on State Route 7 with their baby in the back seat, when they crashed Wednesday night near La Grande, according to the State Patrol.
16) Whidbey crew grounded after 'drawing' penis in sky over Washington
Navy officials acknowledged that one of its air crews was responsible for skywriting a penis over a rural Northern Washington county. The crew was grounded and the Navy later apologized.
15) 20-year-old man dies after being run over by pickup at campground
Campers were upset about 1:30 a.m. because of a pickup that was doing doughnuts on a gravel bar in the campgrounds. There was an argument, but the driver continued to drive recklessly, the Grays Harbor Sheriff's Office says. One of the campers threw a rock and likely broke a window of the driver's pickup and then investigators say the driver then backed his vehicle up toward the campers and ran over the two men.
14) Drivers facing sticker shock in latest car-tab renewal bills
Some drivers in King, Pierce, and Snohomish Counties were surprised to see their car tabs rise by tens to hundreds of dollars, apparently unawareof the increase in car-tab fees connected to the passage of Sound Transit 3.
13) Ash falls across Seattle area from fires burning in Central Washington
As wildfires raged across the Pacific Northwest over the summer, several reports came in across the Puget Sound area of light ash falling from the sky, carried into the region via moderate east winds.
12) Air Quality Alert as wind shift blows B.C. wildfire smoke into Western Washington
Smoke from wildfires burning in British Columbia began spreading into Western Washington turning skies from their traditional sapphire blue to more of a milky haze and degrading the air quality.
RELATED | Photo gallery: Surreal sunsets make for spectacular photographs
11) I-5 reopens after tanker crash snarls traffic in Seattle
An overturned tanker carrying propane shut down all lanes of Interstate 5 in the heart of Seattle for more than eight hours in February, making for nightmare traffic in the city.
10) 3 high school students killed in fatal Lynnwood crash; fourth teen injured
Three students at Jackson High School were killed and a fourth was injured after an SUV slammed into a parked semi trailer in Lynnwood.
9) Watch: Whidbey Island ferry gets blown sideways during 60+ mph gusts
Being on a ferry during a November windstorm can be a harrowing experience -- not just for the passengers, but for the captain as well! Watch as the M/V Salish leaves the dock at the Keystone Ferry Terminal in Whidbey Island where wind gusts in that area had been reported around 60 mph:
8) Snowiest storm in 5 years leaves much of Puget Sound region blanketed in white
It had been a while since the region had a good snow storm! Snow totals ranged from about an inch or two in the heart of Seattle to over a foot in southeastern King and Pierce County.
7) Surveillance video shows ball of flames after SUV hits gas pump
Surveillance video shows a gas pump burst into a ball of flames after being hit by an SUV in North Seattle, ending a series of incidents into which another driver was seriously injured.
6) Contractors claim bizarre events at home where killer Ted Bundy grew up
The contractors were hired in September to renovate the Tacoma home where serial killer Ted Bundy grew up. The owner planned to flip the house afterward. Clopton says he quickly noticed red flags as they began work...
5) 3 Seattle Police officers injured, 1 suspect dead after downtown robbery & shooting
Three Seattle Police officers were injured, and a 19-year-old man is dead after an armed robbery and exchange of gunfire in Downtown Seattle Thursday afternoon. Two other suspects are now in custody.
4) Never-ending gloom? Seattle has had just 3 sunny, mild days since the start of October
While the fall and winter season is typically dominated by clouds in Seattle, it seems we've managed to "out-cloudy" ourselves this year with this statistic that really struck a chord with our readers.
3) Seattle fishing boat lost since February found on ocean floor
The fishing boat Destination, a Seattle-based vessel that sank in February with six crew members aboard, was found on the ocean floor in Alaska.
2) Spanaway convenience store owner who shot & killed thief sentenced to 8 years in prison
A jury decided the store's owner shot a thief in the back as he was trying to run from the store.
1) 3 dead, scores injured after Amtrak train plunges off bridge onto I-5
An Amtrak train making the first-ever run along a faster new route hurtled off an overpass south of Seattle on Monday and spilled some of its cars onto the highway below, killing three people, injuring dozens. Investigators are still looking into what caused the crash but determined the train was travelling at 78 mph in a curve with a 30 mph speed limit.