SEATTLE — Two nights after some decided to leave the ‘Capitol Hill Organized Protest’ saying the movement was over, a few dozen people remain Thursday camped outside of the Seattle Police Department’s East Precinct.
As of now, they tell KOMO News they won’t leave “until their demands are met,” which include defunding SPD by 50 percent and moving that money in to Black communities.
And with the smaller crowds, some leaders with what’s being called the “CHOP Council” say it actually helps to better focus their message.
“We’ve really weeded out the people that are here to protest and the people that are here to party,” said Mark Anthony, identifying himself as a member of the “CHOP Council.”
Anthony said other groups had been coming in to CHOP with their own message, detracting from what protesters inside the zone want.
“I’m not sure who’s going and spreading these lies about us leaving but as you can see, our tents are still pitched,” Anthony said.
A little more than two dozen tents were outside of the East Precinct as of Thursday night. In some cases, people staying them refused to let KOMO News film those tents despite them being on public property.
As for the “CHOP Council,” it still doesn’t offer any kind of true leadership.
“It’s not a set leadership,” Anthony said. “It is a constantly rotating group because it is met to be a council of representatives from the community.”
Those who haven’t left are also encouraging people camped out on the Cal Anderson ball fields to either leave or join them at the East Precinct.
On the north side of the park, dozens of tents remain.
Anthony tells KOMO News that members of the “CHOP Council” are meeting Friday to put together a list of demands to present to the city.
When asked if he could elaborate, he said the details are still being finalized for “peaceful surrender.”