Man barricaded inside Federal Way home dead after 12-hour standoff with police

Police and SWAT teams are in a standoff with a hit and run suspect at home in Federal Way, Wednesday, April 4, 2018. (Photo: KOMO News)

FEDERAL WAY, Wash. - A man who barricaded himself inside a Federal Way home has died after exchanging gunfire with SWAT team officers Wednesday night.

The gunfire came after a nearly 12-hour standoff with the man.

It all began just after 11:30 a.m. when officers were called to a hit-and-run crash near Military Road S. and S. 282nd St. Witnesses reported that the driver, a 36-year-old Auburn man, and his passenger, a 36-year-old Bonney Lake woman, both fled on foot from the scene.

Both suspects fled into the neighborhood east of the crash scene and attempted to steal a vehicle parked at a residence in the 28100 block of 28th Ave S., police said. When officers arrived the man exited the vehicle and broke into a nearby unoccupied residence. The woman was taken into custody by officers.

Investigators said the suspect barricaded himself inside the home and refused to come out.

A SWAT team was called in when it was learned that their were firearms in the home. and negotiators were called in to try and get the man to surrender peacefully, police said..

"The guy is barricaded in our house and now the SWAT team is here so we don't know anything more than that but we're more importantly worried about our cat," said Julie Hocking, who owns the home. "My sister's cat is in the house and we don't care about anything else, he can do whatever else he wants."

Police said no one else was inside the home at the time.

"That scares me to death, I don't want to leave the house now. I can't leave my kids in broad daylight at home by themselves, they should be safe," said neighbor Jennifer Cervantes.

At one point, there were reports of a fire coming from the back of the home. The Fire Department was called in but was not able to get close to to possible dangers from the suspect.

After about nine hours, SWAT team officers entered the residence in an attempt to locate the suspect. After a slow and methodical search the man was located in a crawl space. The man fired his weapon at the SWAT team officers, who said they were forced to return fire.

When officers reached the man, he was dead. It is unclear at this time if he died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound or by gunfire from officers, police said..

The man's identity has not been released.

An investigation continues.

It's not clear who will pay for damage to the home where the man holed up.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off