SEATTLE — The man who is charged with sparking a massive encampment fire in Seattle’s South Lake Union neighborhood is back in police custody after being released less than a week ago with no bail.
Paris Alcantara, 43, is now accused of chasing a man with an axe through Cascade Park while yelling ‘I’m going to [expletive] kill you’ early Saturday morning.
“Alcantara is a staggering danger to the community,” a Seattle police officer wrote in the arrest report. “He was recently the subject of a KOMO 4 news article about how he burned an encampment down, putting several people and ample property at risk of death and destruction. He was arrested less than a week ago and released within 24 hours without bail. He has continued to attack and threaten people.”
RELATED: Man charged in Seattle encampment fire back in custody days after release on bail
According to court documents, a witness in the park reported seeing Alcantara chasing the victim around the park with a metal weapon while yelling. The victim reported to police that it was an axe, though the officer later found a large metal pipe near Alcantara’s tent.
Alcantara has been known to carry metal weapons that neighbors have described as ‘mad max style.’
The victim of the attack said he has been threatened by Alcantara multiple times in recent weeks and is in fear for his life. Police arrested Alcantara and booked him into jail on a charge of felony harassment.
At a court hearing Monday afternoon, Alcantara appeared with the assistance of a cane. Prosecutors pointed out that Alcantara was released from custody without bail and ordered to not violate the law less than a week ago.
“He’s not likely to obey court orders, and he’s a danger to the community given this charge and the pending charges,” King County prosecutor Jullian Haley said in court. “This was an unprovoked, random attack. The state has community danger concerns.”
Haley asked for Alcantara to be held on $75,000 bail, but a judge set bail at $30,000. The judge also ordered Alcantara cannot violate any laws if he is released.
RELATED: Man charged in Seattle encampment fire released with no bail, ordered to not return to campsite
Alcantara is charged with reckless burning and reckless endangerment for a massive fire that destroyed his encampment on Mercer Street in August.
According to the city attorney’s office, Alcantara said a candle he was burning in his tent tipped over and sparked the fire. Alcantara’s defense attorney argued last week that he had resources available to him through a local church, an outreach group, and his family.
A Seattle municipal court judge released Alcantara without bail but ordered him to not go within 1,000 feet of his former encampment and to not violate the law.
“He needs to be held in jail and seen by a judge who will take the risks to the community seriously before more people are hurt and more property is destroyed. Alcantara should absolutely be held in jail for as long as possible. If released, I am certain that more violence will be committed by Alcantara against vulnerable members of our community,” the Seattle police officer wrote in the arrest report.
Alcantara was scheduled to appear again in court on Sept. 7.