Mt. Si High grad, 18, charged in New Year's hit-and-run death

NORTH BEND, Wash. - An 18-year-old graduate of Mount Si High School has been charged in the hit-and-run death of a 57-year-old North Bend woman early on New Year's morning.

Cody J. Eads, 18, was charged Wednesday with felony hit-and-run in King County Superior Court in connection with the death of Lucinda Pieczatkowski, 57.

Pieczatkowski was killed at about 1:50 a.m. on Jan. 1 when she was struck by a pickup while walking alone in the darkness along Stone Quarry Road, also known as 394 Place SE, near Snoqualmie.

According to court documents, Eads had been drinking at a New Year's Eve party at a friend's house when he got into an argument with his girlfriend and decided to leave.

He left the party at about 1:30 a.m. and drove his F-150 Ford pickup towards his home on Stone Quarry Road.

At about the same time, Pieczatkowski was walking along the side of the road, wearing dark clothes, after getting into an argument with her boyfriend and leaving his vehicle.

She was struck and killed by Eads' pickup as she walked along the roadway, court documents say. Eads continued driving on without stopping, court papers say.

After arriving at home, he called his girlfriend and asked her to come over. When she got there he was "bawling his head off" and saying he "didn't know what to do," the girlfriend told police later. She also noticed significant damage to his pickup.

Meanwhile, Pieczatkowski's boyfriend contacted Snoqualmie police and reported her missing. A few hours later, her body was found in the ditch with catastrophic injuries.

The next day, the Eads' family attorney called the King County Sheriff's Office and informed them that the truck involved in the crash was parked at the Eads family residence, according to court documents.

The pickup was impounded and had damage consistent with striking a pedestrian, including blood and tissue. The debris left on the road also matched the truck driven by Eads, court papers say.

Over the next several months, detectives continued to conduct interviews and collect evidence in the case, including cell phone tracking and fingerprints from inside the pickup.

Eads was charged, and prosecutors have requested $25,000 bail. He will be arraigned on Aug. 21.
close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off