Middle school teacher on leave after student claims he was pushed during disagreement

A Sequoyah Middle School teacher is on administrative leave after a student said the man pushed him on Friday. (Photo: KOMO News).

FEDERAL WAY, Wash. - A South King County middle school teacher is on administrative leave after a student said the man pushed him on Friday.

Sitting inside his apartment with his father Monday night, 13-year-old Jueliyan Williams said his history teacher assaulted him after he tried to get his phone back.

The teen said the teacher confiscated his phone earlier in the day during what he said was a misunderstanding over which class the teen was supposed to be in. When the teacher and student disagreed the teen said the teacher took his cell phone.

“He shoved me out of the classroom and I hit the wall and then I fell,” the teen told KOMO.

Tremond Williams, the teen’s father, said he saw the dispute play out over social media. He then rushed to Sequoyah Middle School to find his son.

“This man assaulted a child. Period,” Williams said.

Williams said he found his son sitting alone in the cafeteria. He said the boy hadn’t been tended to by a nurse or medics, nor had anyone called police.

Williams said he dialed 911 and talked to a King County sheriff’s deputy.

Sheriff’s Sgt. Cindi West said no arrests were made, but a report was forwarded to the King County Prosecutor’s Office for possible criminal charges. KOMO is not naming the teacher.

Kassie Swenson, spokeswoman for Federal Way Public Schools, said in a statement the district employee is on administrative leave while the incident is investigated.

In a statement she said:

“As soon as were notified, we took the appropriate measures and acted immediately with the safety of our staff and students in mind.”

The statement said “this type of conduct is not consistent with our standards of maintaining a safe environment for staff and scholars, we immediately engaged in a full and complete investigation.”

But Tremond Williams said the district has done very little for his family. He said no one called him after the alleged assault. He said no adult tended to his son, instead only other students helped out by getting him to a nearby sofa and recording the incident.

“They dropped the ball they didn’t rush into seeing if my son was safe,” he said.

Williams took his son to the hospital twice over the weekend, after he complained of head and finger pain. He said the teen was diagnosed as suffering from a concussion and jammed fingers.

Jueliyan Williams stayed home from school Monday, recovering from his headache. He said that he plans to head back to school Tuesday. His father said he plans to keep pushing on the district to encourage better teacher training in tough situations.

“I know my child and I know he’s not a disrespectful kid,” Williams said.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off