Convicted felon arrested in apparent accidental shooting death of Pt. Orchard woman

Shooting suspect arrested (Photo: Kitsap County Sheriff's Office / Port Orchard Police)

PORT ORCHARD, Wash. -- A 22-year-old convicted felon has been arrested in conjunction with the apparent accidental shooting death of his 20-year-old girlfriend in Port Orchard Sunday evening.

Police say the man was at the woman's apartment in the 2200 block of Sidney Avenue and was handling a stolen gun when it went off, striking the woman in the chest, Kitsap County Sheriff's officials say.

The man and another person put the woman into their car and tried to rush her to an urgent care facility in Port Orchard. A police officer nearby noted the driver driving erratically and blowing through a stop sign. He followed him into the urgent care parking lot, where the driver got out and waved the officer over saying "help her, she's been shot!" according to court documents.

The officer and medical staff in the building began giving the woman first aid while calling for an ambulance. The woman was then rushed to a Tacoma hospital, where she later died from her injury. She's since been identified as Ashlee Jo McClelland.

Detectives interviewed the boyfriend after the shooting, who claimed his friend had stolen guns during recent car prowls and had brought two rifles and two pistols back to the apartment.

The boyfriend said his friend later passed out after using meth, and the boyfriend was unloading the guns because his friend had been messing around pointing them at him. After initially claiming it was his friend that had shot McClelland, the boyfriend admitted to detectives he was trying to unload the rifle when it went off, hitting McClelland.

Investigators determined that the man was prohibited by court order from owning any guns as a prior felon. He was arrested Tuesday and booked into the Kitsap County Jail on charges of manslaughter, 1st degree (domestic violence) and illegal gun possession, deputies said.

Bail was set at $600,000.

The man was set to make his first court appearance Wednesday afternoon.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off