'I want my justice:' Mother of murder victim has waited 4 years to confront man on 'jihad'

Falana Young-Wyatt's son, Dwone Anderson-Young was shot to death, just steps from their Central Area home in 2014. (Photo: Falana Young-Wyatt)

SEATTLE - Flipping through a photo album Falana Young-Wyatt laughed at her son’s silliness.

The time she dyed his hair red, his carefully coordinated outfits, his big eyes and sweet smile.

It’s been nearly four years since Dwone Anderson-Young was shot to death, just steps from their Central Area home and the tears still come easily for Young-Wyatt.

“I had Dwone at a very young age, I was 16 so it was like we grew up together,” Young-Wyatt said, staring at the baby she cuddled in her high school graduation photo. “I’ll never know what his life could have been. I’ll only have these memories.”

Since June 2014, when the 23-year-old’s body was found next to his friend’s on 29th Avenue South, Young-Wyatt has waited for the moment she could confront his killer.

“I heard the gunshots. He was murdered right here, three doors down from our home,” Young-Wyatt said.

The latest turn of events in the trial of Ali Muhammad Brown means the confrontation is one step closer.

On Tuesday, Brown pleaded guilty to a slew of charges inside a New Jersey courtroom, including the slaying of 19-year-old Brendan Tevlin. Tevlin was sitting at a traffic light in West Orange, near Newark, when he was fatally shot.

Brown, 34, confessed to Tevlin’s murder, as well as the slayings of the three men in the Seattle-area.

Anderson-Young and his friend Ahmed Said, 27, had left a Capitol Hill nightclub with Brown when police say the man shot them.

Cloyd Steiger, the retired Seattle police detective who led the case, said he believes Brown targeted the two men because they are gay. He said Brown claimed he was a domestic terrorist.

“He told me these lives were insignificant compared to all of the thousands of lives being killed in Afghanistan, Iraq and Somalia by US bombs every day. That this was his Jihad,” Steiger said in an interview Wednesday.

Brown is charged in King County Superior Court with three counts of aggravated murder for the deaths of Anderson-Young, Said and the April 2014 murder of Leroy Henderson, 30, in Skyway. Brown is not facing the death penalty.

After the slayings Brown fled to New Jersey, Steiger said.

“This was a big case; it shook the community,” Steiger said.

Young-Wyatt refuses to address Brown by name. She said she thinks daily about what she will say to him once they’re in court.

“He’s a friggin’ coward. I want to tell him that to his face,” she said. “I want my justice. I want to be able to see him face to face and say whatever I need to say.”

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off