Homeless man stopped by Port Police 2 days before Westin Hotel attack

Homeless man stopped by Port Police 2 days before Westin Hotel attack (PHOTO: KOMO News)

A homeless man accused of attacking a woman inside the Westin Hotel in downtown Seattle was reported missing in Virginia six weeks earlier, and was stopped by Port of Seattle Police two days before the attack.

Patrick Brooks is charged with second degree assault for allegedly attacking a 27-year-old woman outside her room in the Westin.

Brooks’ parents tell KOMO News they reported him missing six weeks ago, fearing he might hurt himself. They say he disappeared from their home in Virginia after they tried to get him help with some mental health issues.

On Nov. 27, two days before the attack at the Westin, Port of Seattle Police ran into Brooks on the eighth floor of a garage at Sea-Tac. A spokesperson for the Port said Brooks was urinating on a car.

Port Police ran his name in their system and found the missing person’s report. They called the Hanover County Sheriff’s Office in Virginia, where a detective cleared the missing person’s case.

Brooks’ parents tell KOMO their son didn’t want to come home.

Port Police gave Brooks a criminal trespassing admonishment, which he signed before leaving.

Two days later, police say Brooks attacked a 27-year-old woman inside the Westin.

Court documents say he followed her into the elevator and got off on her floor. Then he shoved her to the ground and strangled her.

According to court documents, the woman was in town on business when the attack happened. Prosecutors say Patrick Brooks followed her into the elevator, got off on her floor and knocked her to the ground in the hallway.

She said he pulled down her pants zipper and started to choke her during a lengthy struggle, but she fought back.

Another guest heard her screaming and got the man off her. Hotel security held the man until police arrived.

The woman was treated at the scene for minor injuries, including marks on her neck from the attempted choking, but did not need to be hospitalized, Seattle Fire officials said.

The police report says the woman was sure that if nobody came to her aid, she would have been raped or even killed.

Investigators say he told officers he attacked the woman to "make her feel alive" and a "Bot" on Facebook told him he could do anything he wanted without consequence.

Brooks has since been charged with second degree assault with sexual motivation and is being held on $300,000 bail.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off