MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Fire in bathroom forces evacuation of Issaquah elementary school

Challenger Elementary School in Issaquah (King Co. Sheriff's Office Photo)

ISSAQUAH, Wash. -- A small fire at Issaquah's Challenger Elementary school has forced the evacuation of students to another school.

The fire broke out in a garbage can in a bathroom around 1:30 p.m., according to Sgt. Ryan Abbott with the King County Sheriff's Office. The flames set off the sprinkler system, causing some water damage, plus quite a bit of smoke filled the school, Abbott said.

A 5-year-old child was checked out for smoke inhalation, but was determined to be fine, Abbott said.

Meanwhile, all students were reported safe and have been moved to the gym at nearby Beaver Lake Middle School. School buses will pick up the children there, and parents can also pick up their kids from Beaver Lake.

There is no word yet what started the fire. Police warn there are road closures near the school at 25200 Klahanie Blvd. SE.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending