Father of Marysville-Pilchuck High School teen shooter arrested

SEATTLE - The father of a teen who killed four students and himself last year at Marysville-Pilchuck High School was arrested Tuesday on federal charges that he illegally purchased the firearm used in the mass shooting.

Raymond Lee Fryberg, 42, appeared before a federal judge Tuesday as 19 family and friends looked on in support. He was ordered held until at least Thursday when a custody hearing will determine whether he'll stay in jail or be released until his trial.

Acting U.S. Attorney Annette L. Hayes said Fryberg bought the Beretta PX4 Storm handgun in January 2013, while he was subject to a permanent protection order that prohibits him from possessing firearms.

However, Fryberg lied on forms at the time of the purchase stating he was not subject to a protection order even though he knew he was subject to its terms and admitted in tribal court that he had violated those terms just four months previously, Hayes said.

According to the charging papers filed in the case, Fryberg's ex-girlfriend asked the Tulalip Tribal Court for a protection order in 2002 alleging Fryberg had recently threatened her and had also physically assaulted her in the past.

The protection order was made permanent in September 2002 and had no expiration date.

In September 2012, Fryberg was back in tribal court and pleaded no contest to violating the protection order. He was fined and placed on probation for one year.

Less than four months later, Fryberg went to Cabela's Sporting Goods store on the Tulalip reservation and purchased the Beretta pistol, according to court documents.

In the following months, he also bought four other firearms and filled out federal forms stating that he was not the subject of any protective court order. The forms state that anyone subject to such an order is prohibited from purchasing a firearm.

On Oct. 24, 2014, Fryberg's son, 15-year-old Jaylen Fryberg, used the illegally purchased Beretta to kill four other students and himself at Marysville-Pilchuck High School in Marysville. Fryberg's cousin was critically injured but survived.

"Guns in the hands of people who have demonstrated they will use violence is a dangerous mix that is prohibited by law," Hayes said. "Our office has a long history of working with our federal, state, local and tribal law enforcement partners across Western Washington to prosecute those who illegally possess firearms."

Herman Williams, the chairman of the Tulalip Tribes, said their police department will continue to coordinate with federal authorities but would have no further comment on the ongoing investigation.

"Our thoughts and prayers continue to be focused on the victims, their families, and the healing of our communities impacted by the Marysville Pilchuck High School shooting on October 24, 2014," Williams said.

If convicted, Fryberg could be sentenced to as much as 10 years in prison and face up to a $250,000 fine.
close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off