Everett police warn: Look out for pickpockets
EVERETT, Wash. --- At a time when we are warned about cyber crimes, it's important to remember that the old crimes and old-fashioned criminals are still around.
The Everett Police Department recently warned of pickpockets working in the city and of victims discovering that their credit cards have been used.
Police say the have less than a handful of reports from people who say they were out along Southwest Everett Mall Way when they realized their wallets were gone.
They remembered being bumped or distracted. Then they later discovered that their credit cars had been used.
Shoppers say they take steps like carrying a purse under an arm or putting a wallet in their front pocket.
Everett police offer these tips:
- Store valuables in your front pocket.
- Carry purses and bags diagonally across the front of your body.
- Take only what you need, Remove extra credit and debit cards, IDs, checks and cash.
- Don’t leave your purse unattended.
- Keep zippers zipped.
- Shorten the strap on any purse or bag you are carrying.
- Cover up electronics.
Police think it's a good idea to adopt these practices, especially as spring and summer approach and more people are outside.