KENT, Wash. – The Kent Valley Ice Centre has reopened after a day after it was shut down by an electrical fire.
Puget Sound Regional Fire Authority responded to a sprinkler alarm at the popular ice rink at 11:30 a.m. Sunday. The report was upgraded to a commercial building fire after reports of smoke coming from the compressor room used for the ammonia-based cooling system.
Staff safely evacuated everyone from the building and there were no injuries, according to Puget Sound Regional Fire Authority.
Firefighters found a large electrical panel that had caught fire and activated the sprinkler system. The fire was quickly extinguished and there was no danger of an ammonia leak.
The damage has now been repaired and the ice rink has reopened, according to managers.
The fire is considered accidental, according to the investigator.