Charges: Leschi murders were premeditated, unprovoked

SEATTLE -- The June 1 shooting in Leschi that left two apparently innocent men dead was premeditated and unprovoked and likely started when one of the victims met the suspect on a hook-up app for gay men, according to charges filed Tuesday in King County Superior Court.

Ali Muhammad Brown, 29, has been charged with two counts of aggravated murder in the first degree in connection with the deaths of 23-year-old Dwone Anderson-Young and 27-year-old Ahmed Said.

According to the charging documents, a resident in the 500 block of 29th Avenue South heard gunshots around 2:30 a.m. June 1 and saw someone drive off in a silver car.

Officers arrived and found the victims lying in the street dead from multiple gunshot wounds.

According to the charging documents, detectives used the victims' cellphones to track down two friends, who were able to shed light on the night leading up to the shooting.

The friends told detectives they met Said and Anderson-Young at R Place, a club in Capitol Hill, that night. One friend said Said was constantly typing on his cellphone, likely using an app for gay men to meet other gay men.

The friends told detectives Said was talking about meeting up with a man it sounded like he had never met before once they left the club.

According to the charging documents, the victims and two friends met the man outside the club, and both friends got a bad feeling about him, saying he seemed out of place and unfriendly and that they were "creeped out" by him.

Both friends declined a ride home from Said, and surveillance footage shows Said, Anderson-Young and the new man getting into Said's car approximately 17 minutes before the shooting, according to the charging documents.

Following the shooting, Said's car, which matches the car the witness saw driving away from the scene, was found in a different area. According to the charging documents, the car contained shell casings, a large amount of blood and a hand print belonging to Brown.

According to the charging documents, Anderson-Young and Said appear to be innocent victims in the shooting, which was not apparently motivated by robbery, drugs or any other crime, and who were essentially executed at point-blank range. Police have been looking at the incident as a possible anti-gay hate crime.

One of the friends identified Brown in a photo lineup as the man Said met outside the club, according to the charging documents. And, the mother of Brown's children reportedly told detectives Brown had access to a gun that matched the shell casings found in the car.

Police have so far been unable to locate Brown, despite a tip he was hiding in a Bitter Lake apartment June 12. He is now wanted in connection with an armed robbery in New Jersey.

A man named Matalepuna Malu turned himself in to police in connection with the shooting the day after it occurred, later claiming he is innocent and just wanted to clear his name. He is being held on a federal warrant and on suspicion of an unrelated assault that took place that same night.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off