Charge: SeaTac man killed wife in front of his mother, son

Police investigate a fatal shooting Friday night in SeaTac. (KOMO file photo)

A 52-year-old man is charged with murder after he allegedly killed his wife in SeaTac Friday before turning the gun on himself.

Samuel Stills survived the gunshot he fired into his chin at his family's home, but his wife was gunned down in the presence of his mother while the couple's 14-year-old son was in his bedroom, court records say.

Samuel and Shinelle Stills were in the midst of a divorce when Shinelle arrived at the apartment about 6 p.m. in the 16000 block of 39th Lane South to visit their son and take care of the dog and cat, police reports indicate.

They began to argue about the divorce in the living room upon her arrival, prompting the son to head into his bedroom. Samuel Stills' mother remained in the living room and witnessed the argument, according to the King County Sheriff's Office.

At one point, Samuel Stills walked into his bedroom and emerged with a gun, firing one shot in to Shinelle Stills' back, the incident report says.

Shinelle Stills reportedly asked, "What was that?" before falling to the ground. Samuel Stills then stood over his wife and fired three to four more shots into her, according to the Sheriff's Office report.

Samuel Stills' mother yelled for her son to stop during the shooting. The gunfire drew the son out of his bedroom and he saw his father standing over his mother with a gun in his hand, court documents indicate.

Samuel Stills allegedly then silently walked into the bedroom and shot himself once under his chin.

Police responded to the mother's 911 call and found Shinelle Stills lying on the living room floor, not breathing. Medics declared her dead at the scene. The autopsy revealed she was shot four times, reports say.

Officers found Samuel Stills sitting in a living room chair with a bloody face, conscious and alert. He was taken to a hospital.

Investigators found a 9 mm handgun on the floor of Stills' bedroom and additional ammunition on his bed, according to the incident report. It appeared he had tried to reload his handgun, which he had fired to empty.

Convicted in 1996 of first- and second-degree malicious mischief, Stills was not legally allowed to possess a gun.

Samuel and Shinelle Stills were married for 17 years, according to the King County Sheriff's Office. Shinelle Stills moved out about two months ago and filed for divorce in May.

Samuel Stills remains hospitalized, but prosecutors charged him Monday with first-degree murder with a domestic violence designation and second-degree illegal firearm possession.

A judge ordered Stills be held on $2 million bail upon his hospital discharge. is a KOMO News partner. You can read this story at here.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off