How to deal with that surprise tax bill

    (KOMO file photo)<p>{/p}

    You thought you'd get a tax refund this year. Instead, you owe money, more than you can afford to pay by Tax Day. Don't panic, you do have options – some are better than others.

    One option is to pay with a credit card. You do that on the IRS website. Keep in mind: There is a service fee of about 2 percent, and unless you can pay off the bill in full when it comes, you're going to pay interest on the balance.

    Another way to go: Check with your credit union or bank about a personal loan. It should cost significantly less than carrying that balance on a credit card.

    Or you could sign up for an installment plan with the IRS and pay over time.

    "The IRS offers surprisingly helpful payment plans,” said Andrea Coombes, tax specialist at NerdWallet, the personal finance website.

    If you can pay off your bill in four months or less, it's free to apply for an installment plan at

    “You may face the IRS's failure to pay penalty of one-half of one percent, plus interest charges of about six percent,” Coombes said, but if you can pay your bill in four months or less, this is a pretty convenient way to do it."

    More Info: What if I can't afford to pay my taxes?

    Listen to Herb's interview with NerdWallet's Andrea Coombes.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...