How to help your child to become brilliant

Tacoma parks play.JPG

Seattle, Wash. -- It’s time to get kids back in the classroom and leaning again. But really they’re learning every day. Question for parents and caregivers is if they’re really doing all they can to seize those opportunities and facilitate the learning every day.

It’s simple math.

Children spend only 20 percent of their waking time in school. What they, and you do with them the other 80 percent experts say is critical.

"I think we've gotten into is the fact regurgitation as a way of learning and education, but you know you only learn in a way that scratches the surface, " said Kathy Hirsh-Pasek, Ph.D. and author of ‘Becoming Brilliant’.

Hirsh-Pasek said there's a huge gap between what scientists say is learning and what's happening in many classrooms.

In her book, ‘Becoming Brilliant’ she looks at additional skills she says kids need to be successful in life.

“Here in Seattle you have so many big companies. All of them are going to be looking for kids who have a deep education and who can problem solve. We have to begin to align what's going on in the schools with what the people in those companies want to see, when our kids graduate.”

Hirsh-Pasek said that it’s more than just getting A. She said parents and caregivers need to really seize opportunities with their children, even games like Scrabble and Boggle she said can help build vocabulary.

“We don't think about it but play has all of those 6 C's that we talk about in becoming brilliant,” said Hirsh-Pasek.

In her book, "Becoming Brilliant," Hirsh-Pasek identifies those six C's she says are crucial for a smart and successful child:







"As parents, do you want a regurgitater or do you want the thinker?” she asked.

Hirsh-Pasek said all parents should be looking at ways to augment what kids get in school, capitalizing on daily activities and games to help build confidence and critical thinking skills.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off