Seattle needs a new weather warning: 'Pleasant Weather Advisory'
Ask any Seattleite if they thought it'd be possible to have 3 weeks of sunshine with warm, but not hot temperatures, and they'd have laughed.
Ask about 4 weeks, and they start to feel your head to check for fever.
Six weeks? Might as well call the UFO hotline as you've certainly been brainwashed.
Yet lo and behold, six weeks it has been. We all know it's been super dry -- Seattle was just two brief rain showers away from a current and record-smashing 58-day dry streak. (Think about that -- nearly two months!)
But what's amazing to me is how moderate the temperatures have been. Unlike our big sunny streak in 2009 which saw relentless heat as well, this time around many would say the temperatures have been perfect.
In the 49 days since Aug. 1, Seattle has had 37 of them with highs ranging from 70-83. Of those, 30 have been in the 70s -- including a record 19-day consecutive 70s streak, and 19 of those 30 overall days between 70 and 74.
It hasn't been humid, and days that would be considered hot by many (85+) have only stretched 2-3 days at most before we cooled off again.
It's as if Mother Nature is apologizing to Seattle sun fans for this past June, May, April, the spring of 2011, the barbecue she rained out, the 4th of July that was soaked, that drenched hydro race in 1995, the budget deficit, Jersey Shore, and the New Coke. Dare we say that Seattle's weather over the past 6 weeks outshines California, outshines Hawaii, outshines Florida, and could probably win a head-to-head matchup with any international city (we mean you, Monaco). Rain city, we are not, at least this summer.
And long range forecasts somehow keep this stretch going all the way through the end of the month.
The long weather stretch reminds me of another bout of nice weather -- allbeit considerably shorter -- that we had in August of 2010.
Yes folks, it's time to dust off the always popular Pleasant Weather Advisory (still trying to get NOAA on board with this one.) We're belatedly putting into effect immediately:
PLEASANT WEATHER STATEMENT
KOMONEWS.COM WEATHER BLOG, SEATTLE WA
329 PM PDT TUE SEPT 18 2012
SEATTLE - TACOMA - EVERETT AND VICINITY
...A PLEASANT WEATHER ADVISORY HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR KING...SNOHOMISH...PIERCE...KITSAP AND THURSTON COUNTIES. THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF SEATTLE...TACOMA...EVERETT...OLYMPIA...BREMERTON...AND BELLEVUE
* UNTIL AUTUMN BEGINS... OR POSSIBLY LONGER. PERHAPS OCTOBER.
HIGH PRESSURE IS PROVIDING ABUNDANT SUNSHINE OVER THE WESTERN WASHINGTON REGION. AGAIN. IN ADDITION... A COOL, REFRESHING SEABREEZE IS MOVING EAST INTO THE AREA AND GUSTING TO 10 TO 15 MPH. AGAIN. AS A RESULT... TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO SOAR WELL INTO THE UPPER 70S AND LOW 80S. AGAIN.
DOPPLER RADAR INDICATES INCREASING AND QUICK-MOVING CELLS OF WORKERS LEAVING THEIR OFFICE AND HEADING TO LOCAL PARKS AND BEACHES. THUS...THIS SYSTEM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BRING NEAR-RECORD LOW PRODUCTIVITY TO THE REGION... PERHAPS REACHING LEVELS NOT SEEN SINCE THE GREAT PLEASANT WEATHER STREAK OF 2003 THAT CAUSED 14 MILLION DOLLARS IN LOST PRODUCTIVITY.
* GET OUTDOORS AND AWAY FROM SHELTER IMMEDIATELY!
* IF IN YOUR CAR, ROLL DOWN WINDOWS AND OPEN SUNROOFS. THOSE IN CONVERTIBLES ARE URGED TO TAKE THE TOP DOWN.
* DO NOT DRIVE INTO AREAS FLOODED WITH TOURISTS. JUST DRIVING BEHIND 3 CARS FROM OUT OF STATE CAN CAUSE EXTREME HAZARDS TO YOUR TRIP'S SCHEDULE.
* CITIZENS ARE URGED TO MAKE SURE THEY HAVE PLENTY OF FAVORITE BEVERAGES ON HAND, SUNGLASSES CLEANSED, AND THEIR SUMMER LAUNDRY UP TO DATE.
* FOR YOUR PROTECTION, IF TRYING TO EVACUATE YOUR PLACE OF WORK BEFORE YOUR SHIFT ENDS...BE SURE NOT TO USE A SIMILAR EXCUSE YOU HAVE USED IN THE PAST. THEY KNOW YOUR GRANDMOTHER, AUNT, AND COUSIN'S KITTENS HAVE SINCE RECOVERED.
* AREAS UNDER THE MOST IMPACT FROM THIS SYSTEM INCLUDE ALKI BEACH...SEWARD PARK... GREEN LAKE... HOUGHTON BEACH... GOLDEN GARDENS... AND COULON PARK.
* STAY TUNED TO THIS WEATHER BLOG (VIA MOBILE DEVICE OUT IN SUNSHINE) FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THIS POTENTIALLY VACATION BALANCE-DAMAGING PATTERN.