MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Woman trapped in Sultan house fire critically burned

SULTAN, Wash. -- A woman is fighting for her life at Harborview Medical Center after being severely burned by a fire inside her apartment Monday night.

The fire broke out just before 11 p.m. in the four-unit building at 2nd and Alder Street, Sultan fire officials said.

Neighbors were alerted to the fire after they heard banging on a wall and called 911. When firefighters arrived, they found the woman trapped in the back end of her unit, unable to escape as the windows were too small to fit through.

Firefighters broke into the home and pulled the woman out, but by that time she was unconscious and critically burned.

Foggy weather prevented medics from airlifting her to Harborview, so she had to be driven by ambulance. She's listed in critical condition.

"I hope she's OK," said neighbor Mike Johnson. "The way they took her out, it didn't look too well."

Neighbors said the woman's electricity had been cut off since November and she had been using candles for heat and light.

Trending

LOADING