Woman claims taxi driver ran over her foot, broke her phone

SEATTLE -- A taxi driver who may or may not have run over his fare's foot last Friday apparently has a pretty high bar for what constitutes a difficult passenger.

According to a Seattle Police Department report, officers responded to the 3200 block of Northeast 98th Street around 2:15 a.m. to find a young woman with a possibly broken ankle being bandaged up by the Seattle Fire Department and crying.

The woman claimed she was picked up by a taxi and told the driver to take her to a Lake City address. Instead, she said the driver started driving around back streets and refusing to stop until she paid him.

The woman told officers she said she would pay the driver when they got to their destination and gave him her cellphone as collateral. She said he dangled the phone out the window while demanding to be paid before finally throwing the phone out of the cab and telling her to go get it.

According to the report, the woman told officers she was getting out of the cab when somehow it ran over her foot before driving off.

A witness told officers he heard the woman screaming and saw the cab jerk forward with her hanging out of it. But, the witness couldn't be sure if the woman was getting in or out of the cab.

When officers caught up with the taxi driver in Ravenna, he gave them a different account of the incident.

He said he picked up a young woman who gave him an address in Lake City. But, he said when he took her there she started to cry and said it was the wrong place.

The driver told officers it was hard to make out what the woman was saying, but he thought she was asking to be taken to another address. When he took her there, he said she still said it was the wrong place.

The driver said at this point he didn't care about getting money, he just wanted the woman out of his cab. So, he told officers he stopped, and she got out.

According to the report, the driver said the woman tried to give him her phone, but he gave it right back. He denied throwing it and said he had no idea how it ended up broken.

He also told officers he may have heard the woman say something about her foot as she got out of the cab, but he ignored her and drove away.

Officers asked the driver why he didn't call 911 to report to difficult passenger, and he replied, "She didn't seem especially difficult."

The case has been referred to the City Attorney.