The break of a 2" pipe happened around 7 a.m. on the 4th floor of the Market's Providence Vincent House in the 1400 block of 1st Avenue, Seattle Fire officials said.
Spokesperson Kyle Moore says the water spread from there and more than a dozen businesses had water into their stores, including the Pike Brewing Company and Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. Firefighters say a theater on the bottom floor was the hardest hit with about 6 inches of standing water.
Firefighters were using water vacuums to clear up the mess. Investigators say a rusty valve was to blame for the pipe break.
No one was hurt.