Alleged Renton theater gunman released on bail

SEATTLE -- The victim wounded in a shooting at a movie theater in Renton is in stable condition, and the alleged shooter was bonded out of jail after making his first court appearance on Saturday.

Michelle Mallari, 40, was shot through the back of her chair during a showing of the film "13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi" at The Landing in Renton Thursday night, police said.

Mallari was out of the ICU and upgraded to stable condition, a nursing supervisor said Saturday morning. Mallari's family said she has improved quickly, but has a long recovery ahead.

Dane E. Gallion is the 29-year-old man accused of firing his gun in the theater. On Saturday, a judge voiced concern that the father of two left the scene after what he claimed was an accident.

Gallion turned himself in to police after his father called 911 about 90 minutes following the shooting. Gallion told police the gun accidentally went off and scared him, so he got up and left the theater.

According to police, Gallion brought the gun to the movie because he was afraid of mass shootings.

"He told some people he'd taken the gun out because he was concerned about the possibility of mass shootings there," said Det. Robert Onishi with Renton Police. Gallion did have a legal concealed weapons permit, police said.

Investigators believe Gallion may have been intoxicated at the time. Reports show Gallion told police he had taken a Xanax for anxiety in the morning, then ate a pizza and drank a 22-ounce beer before the movie.

"Preliminary accounts indicate that an intoxicated suspect entered one of the theaters and was fumbling with a handgun he had in his possession when it went off, striking another patron seated in front of him," Renton Police said in a statement.

Gallion was booked into the King County jail Thursday night, and now faces a third degree assault charge. He also has one prior conviction for driving under the influence nearly five years ago.

"From having talked to him, it seems he didn't have any intent to shoot anybody," Onishi said.

The judge did not allow cameras to record Gallion's face. He set bail at $25,000, and added that Gallion cannot have a firearm until further notice.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off