Two people lose hands in fireworks accidents near Muckleshoot Casino
AUBURN, Wash. - Two people blew off their hands Monday night in separate fireworks accidents near the Muckleshoot Casino.
The first incident happened at about 10:30 p.m. at a fireworks stand on Auburn Way South near the casino. A witness at the scene, Luis Cadena, said a man in his 40s was holding a large firework when it exploded, destroying his hand.
"The guy just put it on his head and all of a sudden the thing didn't go off, so I guess he got worried about it," Cadena said. "And then he just pulled it down, and when he pulled it down, that thing just blew."
The victim was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center, according to officials with Valley Regional Fire Authority. The man's current condition is not known.
Roughly a half hour later a second person maimed a hand in a fireworks accident near a bingo hall on the same street. Valley Regional Fire Authority and Auburn police responded to the scene. That victim was also airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in unknown condition.
The fireworks are sold and ignited legally on tribal land, but tribal officers became concerned Monday night and called in Auburn police to help because the situation was getting out of hand.
The Auburn commander tells KOMO News that people were setting off very large, powerful fireworks and that their was concern that one would go into one of the stands here and set off a large explosion that would injure even more people.
The two injuries at Muckleshoot were just part of several hand injures treated around the Puget Sound area. Harborview spokesperson Susan Gregg says their hospital had treated 18 patients between midnight and 3 a.m. Tuesday for hand injuries.