Teen who was texting during deadly wreck gets 15 months

SEATTLE -- The 19-year-old man who admitted to texting while driving and speeding when he hit and killed a North Bend pedestrian last year was sentenced Friday to 15 months in prison.

Cody J. Eads pleaded guilty in December to vehicular homicide in the death of 57-year-old Lucinda Pieczatkowski early on New Year's morning in 2013.

Pieczatkowski was killed at about 1:50 a.m. on Jan. 1 when she was hit by a pickup while walking alone in the darkness along Stone Quarry Road, also known as 394 Place SE, near Snoqualmie.

In pleading guilty, Eads admitted he was speeding and texting when he hit Pieczatkowski, who was walking on the side of the road.

According to court documents, Eads had been drinking at a New Year's Eve party at a friend's house when he got into an argument with his girlfriend and decided to leave. He left the party at about 1:30 a.m. and drove his F-150 Ford pickup towards his home on Stone Quarry Road.

At about the same time, Pieczatkowski was walking along the side of the road, wearing dark clothes, after getting into an argument with her boyfriend and leaving his vehicle.

She was struck and killed by Eads' pickup as she walked along the roadway. Eads continued driving on without stopping, court papers say. His family called police the next day and Eads turned himself in.

At Friday's hearing, Pieczatkowski's son spoke out about what he feels is an unjust sentence.

"Do I think the sentence is being handed down is appropriate? Absolutely not," said Eric Pieczatkowski. "This is a slap on the write for an unconscionable action on January 1st, 2013. She was cheated out of a great life because of very poor decision making and lack of attention to the road when it was required the most."

A tearful Eads also spoke for the first time about the deadly night.

"I not believe that people are automatically doomed for all of their life because they made a mistake when they were 18-years old," he said. "Yes, I will always feel remorse. I will always have a felony. And it will never be easy. But I realize I'm a very young man with a lot of years left to write the story of my life."

Prosecutors say the sentence range for the crime was 15 to 20 months in prison. Eads was sentenced Friday to 15 months.