State to pay $2.35M in abuse case settlement

Seattle -- The state has agreed to pay $2.35 million to settle a lawsuit filed by a woman who alleged that two state agencies failed to protect her from a sex offender who abused her when she was a child.

The Superior Court lawsuit alleged that a paroled child rapist named Danny Dorosky Sr. was allowed to live with the victim's family. The victim, then just 10-years-old, said Dorosky repeatedly raped her.

The woman's suit alleged that the state Corrections Department knew Dorosky posed a danger to children. She also contended that the Department of Social and Health Services' Child Protective Services failed to protect her after school officials in Shelton reported the girl might be a sexual abuse victim.

After years of silence, the victim is now speaking out because she doesn't want this type of failure to happen again.

"It's been hard," she said. "It's been hard to talk about it, it's been hard to deal with it. It's taken its toll on my life."

The mother of three doesn't want her identity revealed, but she wants people to hear her story.

"Nobody should have to go through what I went thru as a child, especially for almost three years," she said.

Corrections spokeswoman Selena Davis confirmed the settlement amount late Wednesday. A DSHS spokesman referred calls to a lawyer with the state attorney general's office who did not immediately return a call.

According to court documents, when Dorosky was released from prison in 1989 after raping two children, the parole board directed the DOC to conduct regular lie detector tests every 90 days and make sure he wasn't in contact with any children.

But the DOC never did.

The woman's lawyers say Dorosky was on parole in 1990 when the abuse began. After the victim's father contacted law enforcement about the man in 1993, Mason County officials eventually arrested Dorosky. He was convicted of child molestation and rape. He died in 2004.

"The Department of Corrections never supervised him. CPS had an opportunity to come in and stop it and they looked the other way as well," said attorney Jason Amala. "We couldn't believe it, they failed to protect her over and over and over again."

After settling with the state, the victim said she feels a sense of justice, but she still wants an apology from the state.

"There's somewhat a feeling of justice," she said. "It doesn't take back anything that's happened. It doesn't take back all the errors that were made."