Public sex at nightclub leads to arrests, injuries

SEATTLE -- The inability of patrons to follow a Capitol Hill nightclub's myriad rules, rules such as "Don't have sex in the bathrooms," led to a couple of arrests and trips to the hospital last weekend.

Officers were called to a nightclub in the 1400 block of Broadway at 2 a.m. Sunday morning for a report of an assault and found security guards on the sidewalk holding down a man bleeding from the head.

According to the Seattle Police Department's report for the incident, the bleeding man's highly intoxicated girlfriend told officers they were walking down the stairs inside the club when two security guards pushed her boyfriend down for no reason. Once security had him on the ground, they started punching and kicking him, she said.

Three security guards, the club's manager and a DJ gave a different story.

They told officers the couple were caught by security trying to sneak into a first-floor bathroom together, presumably to have sex. Security stopped them and warned them they weren't allowed to do that.

Possibly as unconcerned with common civility as only two people in love can be, the couple were then caught by another patron having sex in a second-floor bathroom, according to the report.

Security again warned the couple they couldn't do that. And when the male suspect drew even more attention to himself by reportedly hopping a railing onto the club's stairs, it was time to go.

While security was escorting the couple out of the building, the man was able to punch the club's manager in the head before taking a few wild swings at security guards, succeeding only in bashing his own head on a pole, according to the report.

The man's girlfriend also reportedly slapped the manager in the face while security subdued her boyfriend.

Both suspects were arrested for investigation of assault. The girlfriend was booked into King County Jail, and her boyfriend was taken to Harborview Medical Center for treatment.

One night earlier, a patron was allegedly injured by a security guard for breaking a much less sexy rule at the nightclub.

According to the police report for the incident, the man was alone at a table in the club, his friends having left for the evening, when he put his jacket on the floor.

A security guard told the man to pick up his jacket, as jackets on the dance floor are strictly verboten. But, the man later told officers he soon forgot about the rule and put his jacket back on the floor.

About an hour later, the same security guard came back about the jacket. Despite the man's attempts to explain that he simply forgot about the rule, the guard became angry and told him to leave the club, according to the report.

The guard then reportedly pushed the man to the floor, dislocating his elbow, and dragged him through the club and outside by his clothes.

After taking a taxi home and listening to the driver comment on his injury-related hysterical crying, the man was driven to Swedish Medical Center for treatment by a friend.