Power companies say it could take several days to restore service

It could be several days before power is restored to some areas around Western Washington following Tuesday's storm. More than 320,000 people were without power around the Puget Sound area during the peak of the storm.

Puget Sound Energy says about 34 transmission lines were badly damaged, impacting more than 30 substations. The agency says they have about three dozen crews that will work through the night to restore power.

Snohomish County Public Utility District said this storm has the potential to be among the most damaging the agency has ever had on record. It says so far, two of nine damaged transmission lines have been restored.

Snohomish County Sheriff's deputies say more than two-dozen trees fell within a half hour on Mountain Loop Highway.

"We have several hundred residents that are stuck here that need to get to the other side of the bridge," said Snohomish County Deputy Dave Harkins. "We're dealing with trees down, power poles down due to the high winds."

In Mukilteo, some people who lost power had hoped to get a hot meal from local restaurants but, instead found businesses in the dark.

"We drove down thinking 'oh we can get in there' and then the lights went out," said Camano Island resident Gretchen Leaf.

"Everyone came in. It was just non-stop then all of a sudden stop and all the electricity went off," said Brooklyn Brothers Pizza manager Yolanda Delado.

But some customers tried to make the most of it.

"People were turning on their flash lights on their phones and continuing to eat," said Bailey Forman, a cashier at Brooklyn Brothers Pizza. "It was awesome and then I started lighting candles on the tables so people could kind of see, but there's not much we could do."

In Sultan, the winds toppled power lines onto an electric fence, which started sparking.

Randon Soderstrom said he and his boss, Tim Albers, cut the circuit breaker to move the cattle out that were penned in.

"The electric fence, it was burning," he said. "All of a sudden there was a flash on his back."

Albers ended up being shocked and got caught up in the super-charged fence.

"I grabbed a pair of wire cutters and I just started trying to cut the fence off of him and get him untangled," said Soderstrom.

Albers suffered major burns before firefighters arrived.

"He probably got tens of thousands of volts through his body," said Chief Merlin Halverson of Snohomish County Fire District 5.

Albers was taken to Harborview Medical Center to be treated for his burns. He was listed in serious condition and headed to intensive care on Tuesday night.

Fire District 5 also had it's own storm trouble to deal with. The Skykomish River flooded downtown Sultan, forcing firefighters to relocate their engines and medical cars to higher ground.

"We're evacuating the fire station because the fire station takes on water and we're not much good to people if we can't get out," said Chief Halverson.

One resident, armed with an inflatable raft helped rescue neighbors as their homes became inundated by the rising waters.

"It was coming in from both ways at her place, so we pulled her out of the window and took her to the fire station," said Tim Mohrbacher.

Some people ignored warning signs not to cross flooded roads.

"I'm just pulling cars out of the water, you know they are crossing places they shouldn't be," said tow truck driver Jerry Ebenal.

People living along the Stillaguahmish River also dealt with rising waters. The river crested over its banks and surrounded homes.

"I've never had to deal with it. It's scary to feel stuck, that was the hardest part," said Dorothy Haverman who lives near the river.

Both rivers began to recede late Tuesday night.

Crews were also able to clear away some of the downed trees and allow people to return home, even if they didn't have power.

"We've got our kerosene lamps all going and we're going to hunker down and stay warm," said Granite Falls resident Deborah Stryker.