Port Orchard police chase ends in violent wreck

PORT ORCHARD, Wash. -- A Friday morning police chase in Port Orchard ended in a violent car crash that sent an innocent man to the hospital.

A Port Orchard patrolman first noticed what he believed to be a stolen 2010 Honda CRV just before 11:30 a.m. near SE Carl Pickel Drive and SE Lund Avenue, according to police.

The officer ran the plates and found they were registered to a 2008 Ford Escape that had been reported stolen last week in East Bremerton.

The officer hit his lights and tried to pull the car over, but the driver sped off. He turned onto westbound SE Sedgwick Road, at which point a second patrol car joined the chase. The pursuit continued to the intersection at Sidney Road SW, where the driver turned, heading southbound, according to police.

Police say the Honda was driving 60-70 miles per hour when the driver tried to pass a Ford Ranger, but soon realized another car was barreling down at him in the opposite direction.

The Honda driver gave up on passing the truck and tried to move back behind, but police say the driver didn't leave enough room and crashed into the rear of the pickup.

The force of the crash knocked the truck into a drainage ditch, where it hit a retaining wall and flipped over, according to police.

The Honda came to a stop next to the truck and police apprehended a male driver and a female passenger.

Rescue crews were able to pull a 64-year-old South Kitsap man from the truck and he was rushed to Tacoma General Hospital with unknown injuries.

The 44-year old Port Orchard man who was driving the Honda was arrested and booked into jail on a host of charges, including vehicular assault, driving under the influence, possession of a stolen vehicle and felony eluding. His bail was set at $100,000.

The 34-year-old passenger, also from Port Orchard, was taken to Harrison Medical Center for evaluation. After being checked out, the woman was booked into jail for possession of methamphetamine. Her Bail was set at $10,000.