Police worry officers, public now targeted by double murder suspect

SEATTLE -- Police are searching the Northwest for a man who they say killed his grandparents and stole their car just hours after being released from a Washington state prison, and has since tried to obtain weapons.

Michael "Chad" Boysen, 26, was released from prison Friday after serving time for robbery, and his grandparents picked him up, authorities said. He is suspected of killing the 82-year-old man and 80-year-old woman Friday night or early Saturday at their home in the Fairwood area of Renton, police said.

"I can't stress how dangerous this guy is," King County Sheriff John Urquhart said at a Monday afternoon news conference. He said Boysen had made threats against family members and law enforcement officials, but he did not elaborate.

"We don't want another Maurice Clemmons situation in Western Washington," he said.

Clemmons killed four police officers in Lakewood in November of 2009.

Urquhart said the grandparents were not shot, but he declined to provide other details about their killings, pending autopsies.

Detectives believe Boysen is trying to find weapons, and Urquhart said authorities do not believe he had a gun when he left the crime scene. He had been searching the Internet for "gun shows" across the Northwest and Nevada, the sheriff's office said.

Boysen had been in prison since 2006 on three robbery convictions in King County, said Judy Feliciano with the Washington Department of Corrections. He was released Friday from the prison at Monroe and was supposed to check in with a community supervision officer within 24 hours, she said.

Urquhart said Boysen's grandparents had picked him up from the prison and fixed up a room in their home for him to stay in.

"We are at a loss as to why he killed them," the sheriff said. "We don't know what the motive is."

Boysen is 5-foot-10, 170 pounds with hazel eyes. He may be driving the red, 2001 Chrysler 300, Washington license 046XXU.

Autopsies were scheduled Monday on the victims and their names would be released later, the King County medical examiner's office said.

Friends and family members identified the elderly couple to TV stations as Robert R. and Norma J. Taylor.

Boysen was last heard from on Friday night when he attended what was described as a welcome home party for his release from prison. Urquhart said the rest of the family members in attendance left around 9 p.m. and they believe the Taylors were killed sometime after that. Their bodies were discovered Saturday evening by their daughter who had become concerned they could not be reached.

Deputies have since put the other family members in protective custody and are working 24-hours a day to find Boysen.

"It's an exceedingly heinous crime from anyway you look at it and the risk that is out there is extreme," Urquhart said. "I can't emphasize that enough - the risk is extreme."

Anyone who sees Boysen or the car is asked to call 911 immediately.