Police: Sailor terrorizes woman, threatens to 'blow her head off'

PORT ORCHARD, Wash. - A 31-year-old Navy sailor was arrested early Friday after he kicked in the door to a 70-year-old woman's home and yelled at her to start praying because he was going to "blow her head off," police reports say.

The drama unfolded at about 2 a.m. Friday when police and deputies received a 911 call from someone in the neighborhood who said he heard screaming outside near his home.

Officers arrived at the scene, in the 3300 block of Horstman Road, and heard someone yelling loudly in an angry tone inside a residence there. A few moments later a man walked out of the house.

As deputies approached and questioned the man, other officers went into the home and saw that the front door had been kicked in with such force that it was ripped loose from the hinges and the door frame was splintered.

Inside they found a 70-year-old woman cowering in a back bedroom. After they identified themselves to her as police officers she said in a quivering voice, "Thank God you're here. There's a strange man in my house. He just broke in."

She said she had been sleeping when she heard a loud bang then saw the shadowy figure of a man who yelled, "Start praying. I'm going to blow your head off."

The woman said she was terrified because she lives alone, but she could not get to her phone because it was in the kitchen. She said she actually did start praying because she thought the man was going to kill her.

Meanwhile, deputies were interviewing the man outside, who told them he was doing a "military exercise."

According to the deputies' report, the man was obviously intoxicated and admitted he had drunk a "couple of Jger bombs." When asked if he normally drank before he went through a military exercise, he said "no." He then started crying and said he had really screwed up, according to police reports.

He denied kicking in the door and threatening the woman.

The man was then placed under arrest and taken to Kitsap County jail, where he was booked for investigation of residential burglary. No weapons were found on him.

He was later identified as Matthew Clark, 31, an active-duty sailor assigned to Naval Base Kitsap. Bail was set at $50,000.