Police: Puyallup teen went into rage before attacking 7-year-old girl

PUYALLUP, Wash. - The 14-year-old boy accused of beating and sexually assaulting a 7-year-old girl told detectives he went into a "rage" after the girl began to annoy him.

Police officers found the girl choked, partially undressed and unable to walk in a heavily wooded area behind her apartment complex, but she was able to give police enough information to arrest a 14-year-old neighbor boy.

Investigators say the girl likely spent hours injured in the woods after the attack, discovered about four hours after she was reported missing from the Glenbrooke apartment community Wednesday night. She was rushed to Mary Bridge Children's Hospital in Tacoma in serious condition. Thursday and is expected to survive.

When police contacted the teen, he initially denied any involvement but then admitted he took the girl into a wooded area, but she got a bloody nose so he left, according to court documents. He then told detectives the girl annoyed him and he hoped she would get lost, and then asked her to go walk down the trail to look at a bird nest.

The teen said the girl kicked him, so he went into a "rage" and punched her in the face, knocking her to the ground, documents said. When the girl began screaming for help, the teen realized with her injuries, he was going to get in trouble so he "had to get rid of her so she couldn't tell anyone," according to prosecutors.

So the teen grabbed the girl, took her deeper into the woods, and squeezed her throat until she passed out, detectives wrote.

During the interview with detectives, the teen repeatedly denied sexual assaulting the girl, but detectives said doctors found evidence of a sexual assault when the girl was examined at the hospital.

The boy is now being held in juvenile detention for investigation of first degree child rape, first degree kidnapping with sexual motivation, and second degree attempted murder. Prosecutors are still deciding whether the 14-year-old will be charged as an adult.

"It's a really important decision to be made," prosecutor Kevin Benton said. "He is 14 years old -- very young, so it's a difficult decision and one that requires a lot of input and a lot of decision."

The teen's next court appearance is scheduled for July 16.