Police: Men beat up restaurant employee because of where he's from

SEATTLE -- A downtown Seattle restaurant employee was beat up by two drunk men, one a former employee of the restaurant, Monday night because one of the men didn't like where he was from, according to the Seattle Police Department.

According to the police report for the incident, the former employee came into the restaurant at Fifth Avenue and Union Street with the other suspect and both proceeded to drink five beers over the span of about an hour.

The men left sometime after 9 p.m. when the victim informed them the restaurant was closing but returned a short time later.

The victim later told officers the suspect who came in with the former employee asked him where he was from and then said he didn't like anyone from there when the victim answered. (The victim's answer to the question is redacted from the police report.)

The victim said the suspect then kicked him in the stomach and continued to punch and kick him as he retreated further into the kitchen area. The victim told officers the former employee joined in, knocking him to the ground and trying to choke him.

According to the victim, who told officers he was recovering from recent hernia surgery, he was also attacked with hot-sauce and soda bottles.

An employee who had been counting money at the register saw the attack and -- not able to find his cellphone -- ran outside to get a passerby to call 911.

In the meantime, the suspects left the restaurant, called 911 themselves, and continued to loiter in the area, according to the report.

When officers spoke to the suspects, who both appeared intoxicated, they gave a different account of events, according to the report.

The former employee told officers he and the other suspect were sitting at a table when the victim came by sweeping the floor. The former employee said he threw a piece of trash on the ground, which angered the victim, who grabbed a knife from the kitchen and attacked the suspects.

According to the report, the former employee did have a small cut on his head but couldn't answer the question of why they were fighting in the kitchen if he was attacked in the dining room. Instead, he accused officers of taking the victim's side because he spoke better English, according to the report.

The other suspect was only able to tell officers the victim attacked them with a knife for no reason.

According to the report, the victim had bruising consistent with self-defense and his version of the attack, and the two suspects were arrested and transported to the West Precinct. On the way, one of the suspects urinated in the back of the patrol car, according to the report.

The former employee was taken to Harborview Medical Center for treatment of the cut on his head. The other suspect was booked into King County Jail for investigation of assault.