MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Police: Faulty hoverboard starts fire on board garbage truck in Bellevue

Police say they believe a faulty hoverboard started a trash fire Wednesday morning in Bellevue, according to the Bellevue Police Department. (Photo courtesy Bellevue Police Department)

BELLEVUE, Wash. -- A faulty hoverboard is likely to blame for a trash fire Wednesday morning in Bellevue, according to the Bellevue Police Department.

The fire broke out just after 8 a.m. on board a garbage truck on 116th Ave NE at NE 2nd Street.

The truck operator, realizing his load was on fire, dumped the load on the street so firefighters could put it out. Firefighters from two Bellevue fire trucks were able to douse the flames.

Hoverboards have had a checkered safety past with several reports of fires since they hit the streets. In November, the Consumer Product Safety Commission recalled seven different hoverboards, citing fire and explosion risk due to the lithium-ion battery packs in the scooters. Two year ago, Washington State University banned all hoverboards from campus due to fire risks, joining several other college campuses, airlines and railroad companies.

Officials say if you want to get rid of an old hoverboard, contact an electronics recycling center instead of throwing it in the trash.


close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending