MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Phone catches fire in man's pants while shopping at Puyallup Costco

A phone that caught fire at the Puyallup Costco on March 16, 2017. (Photo: Everett Tyrrell)

PUYALLUP, Wash. -- A man had to take his pants off while shopping at the Puyallup Costco Thursday after his cell phone caught fire.

“There was so much smoke. And there were two or three people who had a fire extinguisher. They were trying to help him,” said witness Everett Tyrrell.

Tyrrell tells KOMO News he was shopping when he noticed all the smoke. He went around the corner and spotted a shopper without his pants.

“I was kind of worried about the guy. I guess his pants were affected by the phone or caught on fire,” said Tyrrell. “He was pointing at the phone. I said, ‘Is that your cellphone?’ He said ‘Yeah.’ I asked ‘What type of cellphone? He said ‘LG'."

A store manager said when he went to the scene, he found the man with his pants off and a cell phone on the ground, still smoking. An employee had used a fire extinguisher on the phone, the manager said.

The victim wasn't hurt and they didn't even need to call 911, the manager said, adding Costco provided the man with a new pair of pants.

It's unclear what might have led up to the fire.

"It certainly makes me think of where I keep my phone and where I keep my phone in the future, what it’s capable of," said Tyrrell. "I hope that never happens to me or someone I care about."

Trending