Ore. teen says he still has nightmares after kidnapping, torture

PORTLAND, Ore. - Two of the four teenagers accused of kidnapping and torturing another teen inside a shed in February pleaded guilty Thursday.

It was a turn in the case that somewhat surprised the victim, Dustyn Murrain, and his family.

After the guilty pleas, Murrain told KATU News he feels like justice is "kind of" being served. He's been in court almost every step of the way since his attack five months ago, including at Wednesday's hearings.

"I do believe that the time that they got was significant," said Murrain.

Jenna Montgomery pleaded guilty to assault and kidnapping charges. Judge Jean Kerr Mauer sentenced her to almost 10 years. Investigators believe she acted as bait to lure Murrain into the shed in Sortheast Portland where three other boys brutalized him. She was 15 at the time of the attack, and was charged as an adult.

Jess Taylor, who was 17 years-old at the time of the attack, was sentenced to almost eight years. He was also charged as an adult. Police believe he attacked Murrain once he'd been kidnapped.

Murrain, who's 16 years-old, told KATU he's healing from the attack but this has been the hardest thing he's ever gone through.

"A lot of anger. Not something from everyday can fix," he said. "I'm glad some of it's over with, but it's never going to change the fact that it all happened."

The third suspect Blue Kalmbach was also in court Wednesday. He didn't enter a plea but is due back in court next month. He was 17 years-old at the time of the attack, and is also charged as an adult.

"I'm not really the same. I still wake up with nightmares. I have to get woken up constantly by my girlfriend because I have such bad dreams," Murrain said.

Kalmbach, Montgomery and Taylor are all charged as adults. They're accused of shooting Murrain with a BB gun and carving a swastika in his forehead.

"At first I didn't believe that all of it was happening. I didn't believe that anything was real at the moment," Murrain said.

The teens told police they attacked Murrain because he was a bully.

"I want the public to know that I am not a bully. I've been bullied my whole life," Murrain said.

Murrain believes he was attacked because he started dating the girlfriend of one of the boys.

"I believe he wanted to take revenge on what I'd done to him," Murrain said.

Murrain still has a scar on his forehead where the swastika was carved. He said he's been using creams to get the scar to go away.

He said he's also still scared, and has nightmares. Those are symptoms of leftover PTSD.

"I still have really bad headaches from what happened, and it's just hard being around strange people I don't know and it scares me not knowing what other people could do," Murrain explained.

Taylor and Montgomery both apologized to Murrain for the attack in court on Wednesday. Murrain said he also got apologies from their families.

A 14-year-old boy was also charged in this case, but as a juvenile. Police believe he was the ringleader in the attack. He pleaded guilty to assault and kidnapping charges as a juvenile in May.

He's currently serving a 10-year sentence.

Murrain said there's a lesson in his brutal attack that he wants other teens and parents to know.

"Live for yourself. Don't take everything too seriously, and when people do bully you, brush them off because you know what, the only reason they're doing that is because their life isn't as great as yours," Murrain said.