One seriously injured in natural gas explosion at Seattle motel

SEATTLE -- One person was seriously burned in an natural gas explosion at a motel in Seattle Monday morning.

The blast happened before 11:30 a.m. at the Klose In Motel at 9309 Aurora Avenue N. in North Seattle, blowing out the front wall of one room and causing severe damage inside.

"I was in a deep sleep and I heard a huge 'kaboom!' and I thought it was a truck hitting the wall or something," said Michelle Dupris.

Chris Lemay woke up covered in debris.

"(Room) 11 exploded and I live in the room next door and it threw everything into my living room," he said.

The blast critically burned his neighbor, who was rushed to intensive care at Harborview Medical Center.

"There was a man rolling around in pain," Dupris said.

The live-in manager ran from the main office after hearing the noise.

"Saw one of the units had blow out and saw a man staggering out of the unit," said Charles Conrad. "So I ran down there and called 911 and then immediately called the gas company."

Fire investigators said the cause of the explosion was from natural gas. Damage was estimated at $50,000 for the structure and $5,000 to the contents.

The Red Cross is helping the 46 people displaced by the explosion with temporary housing.