Officials: Hoquiam homicide victim was state corrections officer

HOQUIAM, Wash. - The stabbing death of a 22-year-old corrections officer man who was stabbed to death in Hoquiam on Saturday was a corrections officer who worked at the state prison in Shelton, officials confirmed Sunday.

The victim, Jon Favro, of Aberdeen, had worked in the visiting room of the Washington Corrections Center at Shelton since February. He was a 2011 graduate of Grays Harbor College, according to his Facebook page.

Police say Favro was stabbed to death early Saturday in Hoquiam, and a 16-year-old suspect has been arrested in connection with his death.

The incident began in an apartment complex around 3 a.m. with a fight between the suspect and Favro as the suspect's 20-year-old girlfriend was in a car with Favro, said Det. Sgt. Shane Krohn with Hoquiam Police.

Neighbors said they heard the two arguing over the girlfriend.

"(The suspect) screamed, 'If you go around my girl one more time, I'm going to kill you,' " said neighbor Melissa Lester.

Krohn says the suspect punched Favro in the face several times then stabbed him twice.

Favro sped away on 28th, but then crashed on a rock embankment about two blocks away at Bay Avenue. Krohn said the suspect had been chasing on foot and Favro ran away from the wreckage, only to succumb to his stabbing injuries in a nearby back alley. Krohn says the suspect returned to his girlfriend's home to wash off the knife and change clothes.

Meanwhile, an officer spotted the car's wreckage and discovered that the car's air bags had deployed, but no one was inside. He then spotted blood on the air bag and car door.

Additional officers from Hoquiam and Aberdeen responded to the area. While they were checking the area for possible victims, a woman contacted police and said she had received a call from her 16-year-old son who told her he was "going to do something terrible."

The woman directed police to her son's location, about a block away from the crash scene.

Officers spoke to the son, who admitted stabbing the driver and the driver had then sped off in the car. Officers then found Krohn's body in the alley.

The suspect was arrested and booked into the Grays Harbor Juvenile Detention Facility for investigation of second degree murder. He's scheduled to have his first court appearance Monday afternoon.

Chad Lewis, spokesman for the state Department of Corrections, said teams were on site at the Shelton prison to help out staff who knew Favro. The superintendent sent a note to all staff Saturday informing them of his death.