Official: fire sparked after bird hits power pole

PASCO, Wash. (AP) - A fire official in Franklin County says a brush fire was started Tuesday when a sparrow hit into a power pole, caught fire and dropped to the ground.

Fire District 3 Chief Mike Harris says the grass and brush below the pole was so dry that it didn't take much to spark the blaze.

He says the bird crashed into the breaker on top of the power pole, got electrocuted and fell "flaming" to the ground.

The fire started around 11 a.m. and burned about 10 acres of brush and grass in an area in eastern Franklin County, about 20 miles north of Pasco. It was under control within a few hours. No injuries or damage were reported.