Off-duty Ore. officer accused of attempted murder

FOREST GROVE, Ore. - An off-duty Hillsboro police office was arrested on suspicion of attempted aggravated murder after a standoff at his home on Sunday night that injured a sheriff's deputy.

Timothy Cannon, 46, has been booked in the Washington County Jail. He will face a judge in Washington County Circuit Court on Tuesday.

The case began when sheriff's deputies and Forest Grove police officers responded to a domestic disturbance involving Cannon and wife at about 8:30 p.m. on 37th Avenue in Forest Grove.

Officers on the scene attempted to talk with Cannon, who had allegedly barricade himself inside the. Officers entered the home and fired shots. One of the sheriff's deputies sustained non-life threatening injuries, the Washington Country Sheriff's Office said in a press release.

Cannon was taken into custody and deputies said he sustained cuts on his face while resisting arrest.

Investigators won't say whether Cannon fired his gun or elaborate further on why the office is accused of attempted aggravated murder.

A Forest Grove Police captain told KATU News Sunday night the deputy had a gunshot wound. He was treated and released, according to the Forest Grove Police Department.

Neighbors around Cannon's home were evacuated during the incident. Cannon's wife and daughter, age 6, were not hurt, deputies said. Forest Grove Police said Cannon's wife works for the department but is not an officer.

Five Forest Grove police officers who fired their guns were placed on administrative leave following the incident. Four Washington County deputies, including the one who sustained a minor hand injury, also were placed on leave for discharging their weapons. Placing officers who have fire weapons on leave is standard procedure.

Cannon was taken to the Washington County Jail and faces "multiple charges" but the charges have not yet been detailed by the sheriff's office.

The conditions of Cannon and the injured deputy have not been released. Cannon has been a Hillsboro police officer assigned to the patrol division for the past 13 years, Hillsboro police said.

Neighbors were eventually allowed to return to their homes.

A police spokesman said Forest Grove police have never been called to Cannon's home and they have no idea what triggered his outburst.