Mercer Island High School cancels classes Friday after 3rd student-initiated threat
MERCER ISLAND, Wash. - Students at Mercer Island High School will start their winter break a day early after the district canceled classes at the campus for Friday.
A statement from the School District's superintendent, Donna Colosky, posted to the school's website on Thursday night, said there was a bomb threat at the school earlier in the afternoon, but was not found to be credible.
Mercer Island Police did a sweep and search of the school but did not find anything. They said the students involved were identified and police are now working with the district and those student's families.
The statement said this is the third student-initiated threat at the school in the past few weeks. Colosky said there us is no viable safety concern for the students, but they canceled classes so students and staff can regroup. All after school and athletic activities have also been canceled.
Mercer Island's winter two-week break is scheduled to begin Monday, Dec. 18.
The statement also said: "District and MIHS administration will use this time to collaborate with staff on ways to address these situations. We will also strategize on how to educate our students on the legal implications and extreme disruption these threats cause. Our goal is to help maintain a positive high school community when school resumes January 2, 2018."
All other Mercer Island schools will remain open on Friday and operating on their normal schedules.