MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray releases statement about sex-abuse allegations

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray said in a statement Wednesday that he will continue his re-election campaign. (Photo: KOMO News file)

SEATTLE - Seattle Mayor Ed Murray said in a statement Wednesday that he will continue his re-election campaign, just hours after a Seattle City Councilmember said the City has been “shaken” by civil litigation filed against him.

“Since Thursday, our city has been shaken by the allegations of sexual abuse brought forward against Mayor Murray,” Councilmember Kshama Sawant said in a statement.

The Seattle mayor, who is wrapping up his first-term in office, is being accused of sexually abusing a man nearly 30 years ago. The 46-year-old man is seeking financial damages, accusing Murray of child sex abuse and prostitution.

According to the complaint, filed in King County Superior Court last week, the man said he was 15 when he met Murray. The then-teen was homeless and his parents were addicted to drugs, he had recently dropped out of high school, the complaint said.

The alleged victim said Murray paid him anywhere from $10 to $20 for sex, the complaint said.

The complaint also detailed “a unique mole” on Murray’s genitalia, something Murray’s legal team disputes.

During a news conference Tuesday, lawyer Robert Sulkin said that a recent doctor’s examination refutes the presence of the mole on the Mayor’s genitals.

"This is a game-changer," Sulkin said. "This is the heart of the allegations, and they are false."

Murray in his response Wednesday said:

“Yesterday, I provided material evidence refuting the accusation. The accusation should be laid to rest.”

In response to the graphic news conference, attorney Lincoln Beauregard, who is representing the plaintiff, fired back in a statement to KOMO Wednesday.

“My client is now angry that the Mayor is lying to the public and feels as though the voters should know the truth before they are stuck with this Mayor,” Beauregard said.

On Wednesday, Beauregard had Murray served with a subpoena, ordering him to appear for questioning at Sulkin’s office on May 2. In the filing Beauregard said he plans to ask the mayor about the alleged mole, his sex life and possible misuse of campaign funds.

“Mr. Murray will also be asked about the prior use of campaign funds to extinguish the voices of other victims….”

Murray, in his statement released Wednesday evening, said “it’s been a difficult week.”

“I will continue to lead this city as mayor. I will continue to run for re-election, so that we can sustain and build upon the progress we have made in my first term advancing police reform, raising wages for thousands of Seattleites, addressing our homelessness crisis, building more affordable housing, closing racial disparities in our public schools, supporting black male achievement, battling climate change, creating vibrant, livable neighborhoods for all, standing up to the Trump Administration – and so much more,” Murray’s statement said.

Trending