Man pleads guilty in stabbing death of Pacific teen

SEATTLE -- The 20-year-old Algona man accused of brutally killing his girlfriend's teenage brother pleaded guilty Monday to first degree murder.

On the night of May 31, prosecutors say {A href=""}Brandon J. Suhr broke into the Pacific home of his 16-year-old girlfriend and armed himself with several swords kept at the home.

Suhr told investigators he entered the bedroom in which he believed his girlfriend was sleeping. But it was the girl's 13-year-old brother who was in the bed, and he soon woke up and began screaming, he said.

In court documents, Suhr claimed the teen began reaching for a folding knife that was next to the bed, prompting Suhr to stab him with a sword in self-defense.

During the scuffle, the man's girlfriend came in the room, and the couple began "choking each other," the statement said. Bruises were only found on the girl's neck and not Suhr's, however.

As the two were fighting, the stabbing victim managed to crawl out into the hallway of the house, said Suhr, adding he then dragged the gravely-injured boy back into the room by his feet. He said he left the bloodied boy in the closet because "it would be rude" to leave him where his family would find him, he told investigators.

The teen girl girl later told police Suhr put a knife to her throat and made her write the following message on the family's white erase board: "Mom I'm leaving and I've killed (my brother) Don't look for me and I'll finish the job."

The girl said Suhr threatened to kill her entire family if she did not leave with him.

Suhr then took her to meet his friends at another home where at least one person suspected something was wrong. While that person was trying to question the teen girl, Suhr interjected and said, "Yes, I killed him," the statement said.

That friend called the victim's mother, who, in turn, 911. Suhr and the teen girl were found at his Algona home.

Detectives noted Suhr's "demeanor was nonchalant" during questioning. He said he had stabbed the teen in self-defense.

"It is what it is," Suhr told police. "It's not going to make my day any better or worse."

Suhr added "people thought he was crazy, but he had found a way past his mental disabilities," and that "he considered (his girlfriend) 'the one' and it was hard to live without 'the one,'" the statement said.

Suhr told police he and the girl had dated for about a year, and had been turned away when he went to see her earlier on the day of the killing.

The girl's mother told investigators that on that same day, the girl had mentioned obtaining a no-contact order against someone she called Brandon.

After his interview with police, Suhr penned a letter of apology for the teen girl. "I am sorry for the pain I have caused you and your family," the letter said. "I hope in future years or lives that we can move forward in are (sic) union be as one. I have and always will love u."

On Monday, Suhr was in King County Superior Court to plead guilty to the murder and a first degree burglary charge. He will be sentenced on June 7.