MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Man critically burned in house fire sparked by e-cigarette

TACOMA, Wash. - One man was critically burned and two other people sustained less serious injuries in a house fire sparked by a malfunctioning e-cigarette Tuesday afternoon in Tacoma.

Firefighters responded to calls about a house fire in the 1300 block of East 64th Street just after 4 p.m. When they arrived, flames and thick smoke were already shooting out of the second story of the large house, according to Dave McRoberts with the Tacoma Fire Department.

Firefighters were able to rescue two people who had climbed onto the roof to escape the flames. Another man, who is believed to be in his late 30s, was pulled out of the burning building. He suffered from burns and smoke inhalation.

Medics performed CPR on the man and transported him to a nearby hospital, where he is listed in critical condition on Wednesday. Two others also were treated at the hospital for less serious injuries.

In all, five people were inside the home when it caught fire. Two of them were able to get out of the house on their own.

One resident of the home told fire officials a resident was smoking an e-cigarette when it exploded and sparked the fire, McRoberts said. Investigators later determined that was the cause of the blaze.

Fire crews stayed on scene throughout the night to monitor flare-ups due to the windy conditions.

Trending