A construction crew at the site called to report the rupture of a four-inch gas line just after 8 a.m. Tuesday at 1515 Puyallup Street in Sumner.
"Fire crews report a large column of natural gas visible," says Assistant Fire Chief Jim Jaques.
Puyallup Street was closed in the vicinity, and East Pierce Fire and Rescue crews evacuated about 100 employees of businesses in the area. One business, located further from the incident, was asked to move employees to the back of the facility in case of fire or explosion.
There were no homes in the mostly industrial area. No injuries were reported.
Puget Sound Energy crews were able to contain the leak at about 9:15 a.m., and Puyallup Street was reopened by about 9:45 a.m.