Lynnwood police: Man terrorizes father during 2-day ordeal

LYNNWOOD, Wash. -- A frail 62-year-old man spent two days being held hostage and threatened at knifepoint by his son and was only able to escape by pretending he needed to buy milk for his wife's in-home daycare, according to the Lynnwood Police Department.

Now, the man's son, Miklos Toth Junior, a 34-year-old Hungarian citizen in the United States illegally since his visa expired in January, is facing charges of assault, harassment, extortion and kidnapping.

Toth has been living in a mother-in-law apartment on his father's property in Snohomish County since October. Late on May 5, he came to the main house, got a glass of wine and went back to his apartment.

According to probable cause documents, Toth came back to the house at 1:30 a.m. May 6, and this time he was violent and armed with a razor-like pocket knife.

Toth's father told police his son tried to pull him outside by the wrist, and when he closed the door on him, Toth kicked it down.

According to the documents, Toth threatened to kill his father and his stepmother, who was also in the house. He also reportedly threatened to kill both their parents in Hungary, saying he had the connections there to do it.

Toth's stepmother later told police Toth, who is approximately 6 1/2 feet tall and 225 pounds, was dragging his father around the house like a doll.

According to the documents, Toth forced his father into the mother-in-law apartment, where he held him until 9 a.m. May 6, making more threats and demanding money he feels his father owes him.

On May 6, Toth forced his father to write a check for $6,000 and drive him to the bank at an Everett Fred Meyer to cash it, according to the documents. Once there, Toth changed his mind and reportedly asked for cash instead. Toth's father told police he gave his son $22, which he used to buy more wine.

After the Fred Meyer trip, Toth and his father returned to the house. Toth's father told police he felt his son really would kill him and he had no option but to comply with his demands.

On May 7, there was a least one small child at the home for Toth's stepmother's in-home daycare. Toth allowed his father to leave the house under the guise of getting milk for the daycare's children, according to the documents.

But, instead of going to the store, Toth's father went to the Lynnwood Police Department. And, Toth was later arrested.

Toth's father told police his son was becoming more and more frustrated with his status in the United States. He said he wanted to live here and not return to Hungary.