'It was growing fast': Residents escape Ballard apartment fire

SEATTLE - Dozens of residents escaped a two-alarm fire that gutted an apartment in Ballard on Sunday.

Fire crews arrived at 2850 Northwest 56th Street shortly before 10 a.m. to find smoke billowing out of the 4-story complex.

"I tried to put out the fire," neighbor Dax Soule said. "I broke the fire extinguisher glass and went in to try and find the fire. It was loaded with smoke, I tried to make sure there was nobody there."

Soule attempted to put out the fire by emptying a fire extinguisher onto the flames, but says the fire was growing fast, and the room was filled with black smoke.

"If there's anything I'm good at, it's being loud," Soule said. Soule and his wife ran through the apartment, waking up neighbors and yelling for them to evacuate.

Firefighters quickly controlled the fire, and say it was contained to the third floor. The fire started in the back bedroom of one tenant's unit.

All residents and their cats escaped the fire uninjured, though it is unclear when they will be allowed to return home.

The damage is estimated to be a loss of $60K, and was caused by an overheated electric cord.