The Spokesman-Review reports that Rachelle Flatt spotted flames on her back patio Tuesday night and called 911. Flames reached a propane tank attached to an outside grill. Assistant Fire Chief Greg Godfrey says the explosion shattered patio doors and pushed flames into the house.
The woman grabbed her 6-year-old son, then ran back into the burning house for her two girls, a 3-year-old and an infant. The fire singed her hair and burned her ears as she rescued the baby.
Godfrey says the woman was treated overnight at a Spokane hospital and released Wednesday.
Her husband, Pete Flatt, is a firefighter with District 8. Godfrey says he was released from duty to respond.
Damage to the insured home is estimated at $100,000.